Aliens: Eradication is a fantastic Doom 2 total conversion mod that sees you exploring a secret second research colony on LV426 that’s been struggling with the consequences of a containment breach.
We don’t cover Mods on Alpha Beta Gamer very often, but Aliens: Eradication is a particularly good project that is worth shouting about. It’s a full Aliens themed single player FPS which uses assets from Kontra Kommando’s (also excellent) Aliens: Trilogy/Ultimate Doom mod. It features four playable characters, each with their own unique objectives (though staying alive is your main one) and sees you exploring a Xenomorph infested secret research facility on LV426.
If playing as a Colonist you’ll attempt to survive and escape the facility, using electrical and fuel systems to create fires and electrocution traps. Mercenaries objectives are to steal valuable research and escape. Yutani Operatives are given the instructions “Kill Them All, Leave No Witnesses”, so must eliminate Coloinists and Mercenaries, as well as Xenomorphs. Finally. Combat Synthetics are also tasked with eliminating the alien threat and must find repair/replacement stations located throughout the colony to heal (they can’t use the standard health kits).
It’s a very impressive game that really manages to nail the Aliens vibe, with an authentic feeling LV426 setting, perfect weapon models (including the all-important motion tracker) , excellent audio design and plenty of terrifying Aliens to blast. Aliens games have been pretty hit or miss in the past, but this is far from just another bug hunt. Highly recommended.
Important Note: If you’re accustomed to the world of Doom mods then they can be a little tricky (and Aliens: Eradication is a little more fiddly because it uses assets you need to load from Kontra Kommando’s Aliens: Trilogy/Ultimate Doom mod). Here’s a little beginners guide for getting Aliens: Eradication to work.
1. Download and Extract GZDoom from the official website
2. Copy DOOM2.WAD into that folder (you’ll need to get this file from an official version of Doom 2 – available on Steam, GoG or other places on the internet).
3. Download the mod and extract the files into the GZDoom folder
4. Rename the “KontraKommando’s Alien Trilogy Payload Edition.pk3” as simply “KontraKommando.pk3” (to remove any spaces from the file name)
5. Run GZDoom.exe then exit the game (to generate a gzdoom.ini file)
6. Open up the gzdoom.ini file with notepad and directly below where it says “[Global.Autoload]” paste these two lines: Path=$PROGDIR/ALIENSERADICATION_demo2.wad
7. Run GZDoom.exe (you may have to go into the options and reconfigure the key bindings and be sure to turn on “Always Mouselook” in the Mouse Options menu.